Great Philosophy

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."-Dr. Seuss

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch

Nina Sankovitch has been reading her whole life. Her parents and two sisters were also very avid readers.
Nina loses her sister, Anne-Marie to cancer, and takes life devastatingly hard, going all out to make sure that she encompasses everything that life offer like running, going at all speeds.
She comes to the conclusion that she is going to take a year and read a book a day, to try and bring her sorrow to some kind of conclusion.
Nina shares with us some of the philosophies that she acquires during her reading a book a day and they seemed to have worked for her in her grief from losing her sister.
While I understood having to deal with grief in your own way, I don't think that I could have dealt with it in the same manner. I read, have always read, but my turn to books is as an escape from the normal and the opportunity to escape into someone else's story and put my own away for a short period of time.

Kudos to Nina for using the tool that made her deal with her grief in her way and for sharing that with us.

http://ninasankovitch.com/blog



/Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading

No comments: