Great Philosophy

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."-Dr. Seuss

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Poe's Children edited by Peter Straub

It is my personal opinion that a short story needs to grab you within the first two paragraphs. There were some in this collection of horror stories, written by a lot of authors that I was unfamiliar with, that did just that. But most of those were written by authors that I have familiarity with: Stephen King, Joe Hill, Dan Chaon, Neil Gaiman, to name some. There were some new to me authors that wrote well and I will seek their other works, but some just did not make too much horrific sense to me.
There was one particular story at the end of the book that I found extremely well-written; Insect Dreams by Rosalind Palermo Stevenson. The writing was definitely first-class and the story kept you compelled, although why it should be labeled a horror story is beyond me.
The book is definitely worth picking up, although there are probably stories that people will want to skip over.

No comments: